Welcome to the Scottish Government Library!
We’re 6 qualified librarians and 3 support staff based in Edinburgh. We provide the following for all Scottish Government staff:
- A range of demand-driven services and desktop access to information resources to support evidence-based policy development
- Training in collaborative tools, social media and research skills
Here you’ll find links to our key services on the Web and on Saltire (Scottish Government intranet) as well as reading about what we’ve been up to via our blog. If you have any queries about our services, please email us or call us on 44556.
Anyone can access our searching and digital skills training materials
Our librarians with their in-depth knowledge of the organisation and expertise in subject-specific information resources, deliver a range of courses designed to help SG staff get the best out of the information resources available:
- 10 Things – an online 10 week course to help SG staff and anyone in the Scottish non-profit sectors to develop their searching and digital skills
- Collaborative Tools for Government
- Fighting Fake News
- Google and Beyond
- Google Treasure Hunt
- Keeping up-to-date
- Searching for Evidence using KandE
Our materials and most other works produced by the SG (except for material identified as provided by a third party) can be copied, scanned or reused freely as long as Crown Copyright is acknowledged. For further information please see the Open Government Licence.
We also offer:
- Desktop and mobile-friendly eLearning courses for SG staff and anyone in the Scottish non-profit sectors.
- Over 40 quick guides to a wide range of social media tools and advice on searching skills.
- Topic Newsfeeds to keep you up-to-date with the latest news on SG topic areas.
To help you get the best out of the Library’s information resources available on your desktop, you can now access a range of apps and training resources without leaving your desk.
Apps for SG Library resources:
- Knowledge Network Apps (for Android and iPhone). The Knowledge Network is Scotland’s national knowledge management platform for health and social care. Includes full text for more than 5,000 journals. Some Knowledge Network Apps may require you to login with an ATHENS password. SG staff can register for an ATHENS password here.
- WorldCat Facebook App. Create lists of scanned books, CDs or DVDs from you own, or want to purchase, or borrow from a library from WorldCat – the world’s largest network of library content.
Free online desktop training for SG Library resources:
Online training sessions suitable for those who are new to the following databases, or for those who wish to refresh their skills. To participate in any of these sessions you will need Internet access and a telephone. Training sessions typically last one hour.
- EBSCOhost training. Access to online training sessions on EBSCOhost databases.
- Knowledge Network training. Includes online training sessions on searching the Knowledge Network, accessing journals and Social Services Knowledge Scotland (SSKS) and more.
All Scottish public libraries provide members with free access to downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, magazines and newspapers.
Anyone resident in Scotland can also access the National Library of Scotland Digital Collections. Register with the National Library of Scotland for free access to a wide range of digital collections including:
- Hundreds of thousands of digitised books, periodicals and manuscripts
- Millions of records and abstracts via online services and databases
- Thousands of full-text newspapers, journals and reports
- Hundreds of full-text reference works
You can also take our quick survey if you’d like to leave feedback on any services you’ve received from the SG Library.
If you have any queries about our services, please email us or call us on 44556 or pop in to see us at 1 G South, Victoria Quay.