Welcome to the Scottish Government Library blog!
Here you’ll find links to our key services on the Web and on Saltire (SG Intranet). Or you take a 10 minute tour of our services on Saltire. If you have any queries about our services, please email us or call us on 44556.
Watch our videos to find out more about the Scottish Government Library:
How to… access and use our Newsfeeds Library (6 mins) SG staff click here
How to… access and use our training materials (6 mins) SG staff click here
The videos explain how Scottish Government staff can access our services from Saltire – the SG Intranet. However, anyone can also access the services in our videos from the links on the right of this page.
You can also take our quick survey if you’d like to leave feedback on any services you’ve received from the SG Library.
Use the links on right to access our staff blogs and course materials, plus our daily email newsletters and topic newsfeeds designed to help you keep up to date across all Scottish Government topic areas.
Our materials and most other works produced by the Scottish Government (except for material identified as provided by a third party) can be copied, scanned or reused freely as long as Crown Copyright is acknowledged. For further information please see the Open Government Licence.
Access our internet skills and social media training materials:
- SG Library training materials
Our information specialists with their indepth knowledge of the organisation and expertise in subject-specific information resources deliver a range of courses designed to help SG staff get the best out of the information resources available:
- SG Library eLearning courses
We also deliver the above courses as eLearning modules anyone can access.
- Topic Newsfeeds
To keep you up-to-date with the latest news on SG topic areas.
- SG Library on Yammer
A place for all SG colleagues to share feedback, ideas or suggestions for the SG Library.
To help you get the best out of the Library’s information resources available on your desktop, you can now access a range of Apps and eLearning packages without leaving your desk.
Scottish Government Apps:
- Scottish Government News App (for Android)
- Scottish Government News App (for iPhone)
- St Andrew’s Day App (for Android and iPhone)
- Traveline Scotland App (for Android and iPhone)
Apps for SG Library resources:
- EBSCOhost App (for Android) and EBSCOhost App (for iPhone). A collection of multi-disciplinary databases containing full text for more than 5,000 journals. Includes Academic Search Premier, Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text, GreenFILE, Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts, Military & Government Collection and SocINDEX with Full Text. You will need a password to use this App. The SG password for EBSCOhost can be found on Saltire (SG Intranet) here.
- Knowledge Network Apps (for Android and iPhone). The Knowledge Network is Scotland’s national knowledge management platform for health and social care. Includes full text for more than 5,000 journals. Databases include EBSCOhost databases: CINAHL, Health Business Elite, MEDLINE, PsycINFO, DynaMed, Nursing Reference Center and Rehabilitation Reference Center. Some Knowledge Network Apps may require you to login with an ATHENS password. SG staff can register for an ATHENS password here.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) for iPhone. Contains abstracts on over 368,100 scholarly working papers and forthcoming papers and an Electronic Paper Collection currently containing over 300,600 downloadable full text documents in pdf format.
- WorldCat (for Android and iPhone). Create collections of scanned books, CDs or DVDs you own or want to purchase or check out of a library.
Free online desktop training for SG Library resources:
Online training sessions suitable for those who are new to the following databases, or for those who wish to refresh their skills. To participate in any of these sessions you will need Internet access and a telephone. Training sessions typically last one hour.
- EBSCOhost training. Access to online training sessions on EBSCOhost databases.
- Knowledge Network training. Includes online training sessions on searching the Knowledge Network, accessing journals and Social Services Knowledge Scotland (SSKS) and more.
- ProQuest training. Access to online training sessions on how to get the most from the latest ProQuest platform including My WebEx – your own personal ProQuest account.
Scottish Government staff can access more Library services via our Saltire (SG Intranet) pages:
- SG Library homepage and contact details
- Contact your subject librarian
- Key quality resources by subject
- SG Library training events
- Keep up-to-date in your subject
If you have any queries about our services, please email us or call us on 44556 or pop in to see us at GD Bridge, Victoria Quay (opposite the Learning Centre).