Welcome to the Scottish Government Library!
Here you’ll find links to our key services on the Web and on Saltire (SG Intranet) aswell as reading about what we’ve been up to via our blog. If you have any queries about our services, please email us or call us on 44556.
Anyone can access our searching and digital skills training materials
Our librarians with their in-depth knowledge of the organisation and expertise in subject-specific information resources deliver a range of courses designed to help SG staff get the best out of the information resources available:
- 10 Things – an online 10 week course to help SG staff and anyone in the Scottish non-profit sectors to develop their searching and digital skills
- Effective Internet Searching
- Google Treasure Hunt
- Government Secure Collaborative Tools
- Keeping up-to-date
- Open Collaborative Tools
- RSS (newsfeeds) and Dashboards
- Social Media for Government
Our materials and most other works produced by the SG (except for material identified as provided by a third party) can be copied, scanned or reused freely as long as Crown Copyright is acknowledged. For further information please see the Open Government Licence.
We also offer:
- Desktop and mobile-friendly eLearning courses for SG staff and anyone in the Scottish non-profit sectors.
- Over 40 quick guides to a wide range of social media tools and advice on searching skills.
- Topic Newsfeeds to keep you up-to-date with the latest news on SG topic areas.
To help you get the best out of the Library’s information resources available on your desktop, you can now access a range of apps and training resources without leaving your desk.
Apps for SG Library resources:
- EBSCOhost App (for Android) and EBSCOhost App (for iPhone). A collection of multi-disciplinary databases containing full text for more than 5,000 journals. You will need a password to use this App. The SG password for EBSCOhost can be found on Saltire (under the heading KandE) here.
- EBSCOhost ebook App (for Android) and EBSCOhost ebook App (for iPhone). Borrow ebooks from the SG Library’s ebook collection.
- Knowledge Network Apps (for Android and iPhone). The Knowledge Network is Scotland’s national knowledge management platform for health and social care. Includes full text for more than 5,000 journals. Some Knowledge Network Apps may require you to login with an ATHENS password. SG staff can register for an ATHENS password here.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) for iPhone. Contains abstracts on over 368,100 scholarly working papers and forthcoming papers and an Electronic Paper Collection currently containing over 300,600 downloadable full text documents in pdf format.
- WorldCat (for Android and iPhone). Create collections of scanned books, CDs or DVDs you own or want to purchase or check out of a library.
Free online desktop training for SG Library resources:
Online training sessions suitable for those who are new to the following databases, or for those who wish to refresh their skills. To participate in any of these sessions you will need Internet access and a telephone. Training sessions typically last one hour.
- EBSCOhost training. Access to online training sessions on EBSCOhost databases.
- Knowledge Network training. Includes online training sessions on searching the Knowledge Network, accessing journals and Social Services Knowledge Scotland (SSKS) and more.
You can also take our quick survey if you’d like to leave feedback on any services you’ve received from the SG Library.
If you have any queries about our services, please email us or call us on 44556 or pop in to see us at 1 G North, Victoria Quay.